Click on Image for Larger Photos

 
ID: 39
Name: 24 East 23rd Street
Address: 24 East 23rd Street, between Broadway and Park Avenue South
Block and Lot: Block: 851 Lot: 57
Neighborhood: Flatiron
Date: 1894 (?) (Alt. 451-1894)
Architect: P.J. Lauritzen (attributed to)
Original Use: Commercial
Original Owner: C. W. Smith Estate
Foundry: unknown
Style: Neo-Renaissance
Other Information: This six-story cast-iron front is undoubtedly a new facade and addition to an earlier rowhouse. The 1894 alteration docket listing states that this will be a four-story brick building. The date seems correct for this building, and no other alteration application has been discovered. Lauritzen was primarily a Brooklyn architect, designing residential, institutional, and commercial buildings.
Sources:
Status Update: Demolished c. 2006
 
NY Metro Victorian Society of America