Click on Image for Larger Photos

 
ID: 35
Name: Ludwig Brothers
Address: 34-42 West 14th Street, between Fifth and Sixth Avenues
Block and Lot: Block: 577 Lot: 19
Neighborhood: Union Square/14th Street
Date: 1878; 1899 (NB 394-1878; NB 448-1899)
Architect: W. Wheeler Smith/Louis Korn
Original Use: Commercial
Original Owner: J. Rothschild; Bernard J. Ludwig
Foundry: 1899 addition, John J. Radley & Co
Style: Neo-Grec
Other Information: Original building from 1878 located to west; addition replicates original castings. Building goes through the block to West 13th Street, which has a brick facade with castiron storefront. Radley plaque survives on rear elevation of 1899 addition. The 1899 addition appears to replace a five-story cast-iron commercial building from 1877 (J. M. Grinnell for Moses Lazarus) at 36 West 14th Street and a six-story brick commercial building from 1877 (J. M. Grinnell for J. S. Hoppock) at 38 West 14th Street. Ludwig Brothers was a dry goods store. In c. 1899, Ludwig Brothers was acquired by Rothenberg & Co., which opened "New York's most up-to-date store" in this building. W[illiam] Wheeler Smith designed several important late cast-iron buildings, notably 28 East 14th Street (see) and 361 Broadway, as well as the W. & J. Sloane store on Broadway and West 19th Street, with its superb cast-iron storefront columns.
Sources: Gayle, 104-105; Rothenberg & Co. Formerly Ludwig Bros. (Promotional brochure, c. 1899, Avery Library, Rare Books Collection).
Status Update:
 
NY Metro Victorian Society of America